Saturday, September 22, 2007

Harvest

Our doctor is fabulous as ever. He invited us to a dinner recently at his old farmhouse. Before the meal we ventured into the jungle behind his house to pick wild Concord grapes. We stood on tiptoes and pulled at the vines to reach the clusters of grapes. You could smell the grapes in the air even before we picked them. We filled two big round wicker baskets. Later I dove into icy water and swam, and we ate colorful summer food and then we gathered around his enamel kitchen table drinking coffee and telling stories until well after midnight. When we left, the stars were so bright and the air was cool. I popped awake at 5:30 the next morning and took Honey into the yard. Life is amazing and everything is lush and humming when I'm in transmit mode. A natural high. My ears are perky and I'm taking notes. The days seem ten minutes long, but I know this too will pass.

No comments: