Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rolls of Faith

The torpedo rolls and hamburger buns I stroll by every morning outside the Castle Luncheonette on Social Street are stacked in clear bags. They are always on the fifth barn-red picnic table, the one closest to the dining room entrance. They're delivered early in the morning, before the luncheonette is open. The bakery order is always scrawled in pencil on a turquoise waitress receipt taped to the kitchen window, facing out, so the bread man knows just what to leave. It is a great comfort to me to see the bread sitting there each morning, undisturbed, and it makes me think for a moment that we live in a trusting and cozy world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, I find comfort in the custom of unattended morning bread deliveries, too.

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I repost this on wheretofindfreebread.com?

;)