Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fruity Friends

In October my friends gave me two boxes of apples from an orchard on their New Hampshire farm. We ate a bunch of them. Today we still had one full box so I started chopping them up for sauce and I filled three big soup pots.

While the apples were simmering I walked downtown and stopped by to say hi to my friend and her dad since he is flying home tomorrow. As I was leaving she asked me "Would you like some bananas?" I said no thanks I am overflowing with apples today.

"You have to take some," she said, grabbing a bunch of bananas out of the huge banana box and handing them to me. "I got the whole box for two dollars," she said. I smiled and thanked her, taking the bananas. I carried the bananas home to my apple-filled kitchen.

The apples had simmered into pink mush and the house smelled great. I ran the sauce through the food mill to separate out the seeds and skins. I made four buckets of applesauce. Each batch of sauce is a slightly different flavor since there was a mix of three kinds of apples. Some of the apples taste like pears, and some taste pink.

No comments: