Thursday, March 05, 2015

Why I Love the City

"Hey, can I give her a french fry, he said holding one out for Lily. I had to get rid of my dogs, I was in prison and they went to a friend who got rid of them."
"I'm glad you're out. I said remembering him and his two pit bulls from the neighborhood. Were you at the ACI? I've been there to give a reading with a few poets," I said.
"Which prison," he asked
"Medium security," I said.
"Yes, that's where I was," he said.
"That was 4 years ago, when we were there," I said knowing he was there recently.
I'm glad you're out.
I get to see my son.
How hold is your son?
"My son is a year and a half," he said.
"Have you heard about the woman in Georgia they are going to put to death by lethal injection?"
"That's wrong," he said.
"I agree."
"Only God can make that decision," he said
I agree."
"And this woman has been rehabilitated, too. She became a spiritual leader."
"That's no way to help society, going around killing people."
"I couldn't agree more."
He got a phone call and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and I turned to go into the post office.

*
White water Hawk was calling my name when the traffic was backed up. I looked around. "Over here" he said walking towards me to greet Lily.

*
The man with the tattooed face said hello.

No comments: