Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Books Everywhere

“In our deepest moments we say the most inadequate things.”
― Edna O'Brien, A Fanatic Heart

“Darkness is drawn to light, but light does not know it; light must absorb the darkness and therefore meet its own extinguishment.”
― Edna O'Brien, In the Forest

“When anyone asks me about the Irish character, I say look at the trees. Maimed, stark and misshapen, but ferociously tenacious.”
― Edna O'Brien

“We all leave one another. We die, we change - it's mostly change - we outgrow our best friends; but even if I do leave you, I will have passed on to you something of myself; you will be a different person because of knowing me; it's inescapable...”
― Edna O'Brien, Girl With Green Eyes

“She said the reason that love is so painful is that it always amounts to two people wanting more than two people can give.”
― Edna O'Brien, Saints and Sinners

“Writers are always anxious, always on the run--from the telephone, from responsibilities, from the distractions of the world.”
― Edna O'Brien

“...people liking you or not liking you is an accident and is to do with them and not you. That goes for love too, only more so.”
― Edna O'Brien, Girls in Their Married Bliss

“Books everywhere. On the shelves and on the small space above the rows of books and all along the floor and under chairs, books that I have read, books that I have not read.”
― Edna O'Brien, Country Girl

No comments: