Friday, July 22, 2016

Bill Evans Runner + Police Commissioner


I like to say, "I'm more of a runner than I am a policeman." In my office, I have all of my medals glassed in two big frames. It's a big part of my life. I'm out the door by 5 a.m. every day, doing seven to eight miles. On weekends, I do a two-hour long run. Our job, as you know, can be very stressful. As long as I can get my run in every day? I feel like I can handle anything.

For this year's marathon, my 18th Boston, my goal was to be under 3:40. For my age, 54, that was what I needed to qualify for next year. All the way in I felt strong. Coming down Boylston, my wife, Terry, and my son, Will, were waving to me from the grandstand. And all my cops were also cheering me on. Finishing in 3:34, I was thrilled.
Article


Boston’s Police Commissioner Gears up for His 50th Marathon
Despite a busy and unpredictable schedule, William Evans makes time to train for his city’s race.

If Boston Police Commissioner William Evans, 57, of South Boston, Massachusetts, were looking for excuses not to get his daily runs in, he wouldn’t have to look far. The around-the-clock nature of his job means that he regularly needs to take care of business in the middle of the night. Still, Evans finds a way to get his run in.

“It’s a nice break, it lets me clear my head,” Evans told Runner’s World by phone. “People always say to me, ‘I don’t know how you do your job.’ Well, the secret for me is just making sure I get my run in every day. I can basically conquer anything, as far as I’m concerned, as long as I get my run in.

Article

No comments: