Thursday, July 21, 2016

Sally Goble: I love the “pocket adventure” of swimming in freezing-cold water in your lunch hour


The swimming blog
Come on in, the water's freezing: the joys of a winter swimming club

Would anyone accept my invitation to take a weekly lunchtime swim outdoors in an unheated pond? A hardcore but enthusiastic gang took the plunge …
Kings Cross Pond Club on a rather nippy day

by
Sally Goble https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-swimming-blog/2016/feb/16/come-on-in-the-waters-freezing-the-joys-of-a-winter-swimming-club

Tuesday 16 February 2016 02.10 EST Last modified on Tuesday 16 February 2016 02.12 EST

People ask me why I do it: “Why would you want to go swimming for two minutes? Are you mad?” I explain that I think it must be like bungee jumping (not that I’ve ever been). It’s the two hours of dread and nervousness, followed by a heart-pumping adrenaline rush lasting a few minutes, followed by two hours of recovery – and an amazing feeling of wellbeing.

To be legends in our own lunchtimes.

No comments: