Friday, April 21, 2017

Loaves of Love

I have four meat loaves baking. I hope they are good. I will freeze three of them or give them away. The loaves of love are made from leftover fougasse flat breads I made on Easter and I couldn't bear to feed to the birds. I broke up the fougasse into 2" pieces and then soaked them in buttermilk while warming them in my crock pot. (Yes I am crazy!) My husband notices that I've changed my plan five times in 20 minutes and I've used every pot in the kitchen. "Just like a painting, you never know where it wants to go," I say. "I'm getting a little crabby. What if they taste awful? Then I'll feed it to the birds," I say laughing. I added a pound of peeled and chopped carrots, four white onions, fresh garlic, red chili flakes, oregano, basil, four eggs, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup using Marion Cunningham's approach. Did I mention I added ground beef and ground pork? Speaking of memory, I forgot to throw in the parsley which I bought thinking it was cilantro. I even tasted it in the store and thought it was cilantro. Life is funny. Laugh out loud.

UPDATE:
They came out great. We ate one loaf right away. The others we'll probably eat over the weekend.

No comments: