Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Nyad: Take every minute, one at a time.

“I wanted to teach myself some life lessons at the age of 60 and one of them was that you don’t give up.”
― Diana Nyad

“Never, ever give up. You're never too old to chase your dreams. It looks like a solitary sport, but really a team effort”
― Diana Nyad

“What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“Whatever your Other Shore is, whatever you must do, whatever inspires you, you will find a way to get there.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“I’ve been living out loud the Henry David Thoreau saying: 'What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.' The quest of the Cuba”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“That down feeling, quitting, was far worse than suffering it out to the end, because that decision to quit haunts you and bleeds over into your outlook on everything else, just as not quitting buoys you for all else.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“Take every minute, one at a time. Don’t be fooled by a perfect sea at any given moment. Accept and rise to whatever circumstance presents itself. Be in it full tilt, your best self. Summon your courage, your true grit. When the body fades, don’t let negative edges of despair creep in. Allowing flecks of negativity leads to a Pandora’s box syndrome. You can’t stop the doubts once you consent to let them seep into your tired, weakened brain. You must set your will. Set it now. Let nothing penetrate or cripple it.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“I failed and faltered many times, but I can look back without regret because I was never burdened with the paralysis of fear and inaction.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“Hard work and focus and will would shape my future. Nothing was meant to be.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“Close your eyes, close your fists, and say, 'I couldn't have done it a fingernail faster.' If you can say it, and mean it, I guarantee you it will be all right, no matter what happens. No regrets.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“I love that aspect of sports where you can see what kind of work, how much work, an athlete's been doing by how her body is carved.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“You will never forget what has happened to you. You cannot. And I will never replace your mother. I cannot. But you must believe that this is a beautiful world. People are basically kind and loving. You are going to live a wonderful life. You must take these memories and bury them deep in a corner of your soul. Don't live them on your skin. Tomorrow you will wake up for the first time in your new home, here with us. You will not wake up a tortured little girl. You will wake up a citizen of the world, deserving of a happy and meaningful life.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

“It seems to me it's not genetic gifts for tolerating stress or resisting pain that take individuals through extraordinary feats of endurance. When it comes to the most daring of Earth's expeditions, success always seems to come down to four factors:
One: Physical preparation. Training. You are truly the only thing you have complete control over. No stone unturned.
Two: Know everything possible about the elements, the obstacles. Knowledge is power.
Three. Surround yourself with brilliant and honorable people.
Four. Unshakeable faith. Go so far as defiance. Refuse to accept limitations and mediocrity. I won't let anybody tell me I can't touch the stars because I just might get there. And I will surely never get there if I don't keep trying.”
― Diana Nyad, Find a Way

No comments: