Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Out of the Mouths of Babes

My friend Peter was out when I was walking along the pond and I told him about the current exhibit at Worcester Art Museum of religious icons. I haven't seen it but I love this stuff, I told him. He told me that when his mother in law was about five she was at a family gathering with aunts and uncles and when one of the aunties bent over to say hello and pinch her rosy cheeks, she noticed her cleavage. She asked her auntie if she moved her breasts apart would she be able to see her heart, (just like all of the religious icons of Mary and Jesus). When she told her mother about the incident she was shamed. And a few weeks later when she saw a woman breast feeding she was also fascinated. When she told her mom she saw a woman feeding an infant from her breast she was punished and forbidden to spend time with that family ever again.

No comments: