Sunday, May 10, 2020

Learning

Now you wouldn't think that learning to jog and learning to snip puppy nails are in the same category but both of these things are new projects requiring training and patience, two qualities that don't come easily for me.

I'm learning by what I call the the DRIP, DRIP, DRIP slow daily effort method. Showing up is most of the battle.

If I touch the puppy nail clippers and then my dogs paws and get him to comply with that, he gets a reward and we've made progress for the day. I keep the mini kibble treats in a tin in the well-lit bathroom with the clippers at the ready. This way he already associates the bathroom with treats. It's also where I sponge off his head after a walk. He always gets his head under shrubs and bushes where the skunks and opossums go. And as my husband said, those animals don't bathe. Romeo gets a stinky head! So I need to take a sponge and soap his head and rinse and towel dry after every spring walk.

About jogging, I am a swimmer trying to make use of a new medium. Cardio vascular workouts are my best friend for helping me manage my moods and have been for many years. Except for the YMCA pool, I can't stand being indoors to exercise. A huge part of the mental health benefit is being outside. I have sneakers and a body and neighborhoods I know well from 25 years of dog walking. All I need is patience because each outing requires careful stretching before and after and then 2 days to recover. Slowly I hope to build up. I have excellent cardio strength from swimming long distances but jogging requires new muscles.

No comments: