Saturday, January 31, 2015

I LOVE Brautigan

This year I turn my nephew onto Richard Brautigan and now we share other authors. I call Brautigan my spiritual father. My beloved hero from Jupiter.
January 30th (yesterday) was the birthday of poet and novelist Richard Gary Brautigan, born in Tacoma, Washington (1935). He moved to San Francisco, where he read his poetry at psychedelic rock concerts, helped produce underground newspapers, and became involved with the Beat Movement. He had long blond hair and granny glasses.

In the summer of 1961, he went camping with his wife and young daughter in Idaho's Stanley Basin. He spent his days hiking, and it was there, sitting next to trout streams with his portable typewriter, that he wrote his most famous work, Trout Fishing in America (1967).

No comments: