Saturday, January 31, 2015

You Can't Read!

When was seven, in 2nd grade my mother insisted that I had a mental block and I was unable to read. She invented some fabricated story about my bio dad writing me a letter telling me about his upcoming marriage and accused me of being mentally paralyzed from it. Meanwhile I was reading the SECRET GARDEN in the advanced reading group. Now I realize that my mother was speaking about herself not about me. She continued to see herself and diagnose me until it became increasingly dangerous for me to live under her roof.

When I was a junior in high school my teachers helped me run away! I escaped the clutches of my maniacal un-stoppable powerful medically obsessed mother and "I even got credit". I moved to Mott Street in Chinatown in NYC between Grand and Broome Street, around the corner from my grandfather's fans and motors store on Centre Street. I would visit my grandpa Nat every chance I got. I was his smiling blue-eyed favorite grand child and the LOVE saved my life.

That May I graduated as a junior getting credit for running away finding a job and an apartment and writing poetry.

My next stop was Providence, RI.

No comments: