Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Michael Meyer

I'm the product of the public library, which is to writers what an art museum is to painters.

Now that I'm home, I work first thing in the morning, at a desk facing a big window overlooking trees. Then I go for a run.

Have you ever suffered from writer’s block?

I don't think there is such a thing. If you suspect you're infected, do what John Steinbeck did -- taking Emerson's advice -- to kick-start his writing "East of Eden": write a letter to a friend. There is an inspiring book of these letters, "Journal of a Novel."

What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever received?

You know it's time to write a book when the book you want to read doesn't exist.

What’s your advice to new writers?

Don't wait for permission to write. Nearly everything I've sold came not from querying editors and publishers, but by submitting a finished essay, article, and even book manuscript. Nothing builds confidence and momentum like actually doing the work, instead of talking about it.

-Michael Meyer

No comments: