Saturday, June 03, 2023

To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves

To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves – there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. – Joan Didion   Self-respect: Its Source, Its Power (essay originally published in Vogue in 1961) 

Character – the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life – is the source from which self-respect springs. – Joan Didion   Slouching Towards Bethlehem (1968)    

I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. – Joan Didion  Why I Write (essay originally published in the New York Times Book Review in 1976)     

You have to pick the places you don’t walk away from. – Joan Didion   A Book of Common Prayer (1977)

We tell ourselves stories in order to live. – Joan Didion  The White Album (1979)

No comments: