Thursday, May 30, 2024

‘Everywhere I go there’s a memory for me,’ Selleck says. ‘I can go away, do all these high-powered scenes, then come back here and just watch the trees I planted grow.

‘Before an audition, I’ve always said to myself, sometimes out loud, you’re enough, Tom. You’re enough to find your own way,’ Selleck says. This crops up a lot in his memoirs. ‘Errant thoughts’ is what he calls it, but it often comes across as imposter syndrome.

‘The ultimate acceptance of “you’re enough, Tom” was Spielberg and Lucas wanting me. And I always held on to that.’ Did he dwell on what might have been? ‘No, people bring it up, but I put it to bed long ago. It made my work better, that they’d thought I was enough.’

Retirement is anathema to him. ‘Acting is a very unusual life, and when you have it for 50 years, you either handle it or go crazy. There’s fewer and fewer people at the age I am, so the talent pool thins out. A lot of people didn’t handle it, some people passed away… So there’s work, which I hope continues.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2024/05/04/tom-selleck-interview-moustache-magnum-pi-blue-bloods/

You Never Know: A Memoir is out on May 9 (HarperCollins, £22); pre-order at books.telegraph.co.uk

& video

No comments: