Saturday, February 25, 2023

food is about sharing with the ones you love and mean the most to you.

 https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/cacio-e-uova-meatless-recipe-sundaysupper/

As you can probably guess, I have to thank my paternal grandmother for introducing this cacio e uova meatless recipe to me about half a century ago! In my grandmother’s Italian dialect, this rustic food was referred to as “cace e ova”. My dad’s mom was born in Ripabottoni, in the province of Campobasso, in the Italian region of Molise. I can honestly say that this was not a dish that I was fond of as a kid. This combination of cheese, eggs and stale bread in the shape of lopsided balls would make an occasional appearance on the supper table, and always on a Friday (since we never ate meat on Fridays). Today, I find myself re-visiting this “forgotten” recipe.

Recently, I asked my dad about this dish and he nonchalantly said that when he was growing up in Italy, this was eaten because they could not afford to eat meat. I immediately understood this was not one of his favorite meals. Since they lived on a farm, sheep’s milk cheese and eggs were readily available, and as for the stale bread – he was always so hungry, he would have eaten just about anything! But, in the same breath, he also commented that in retrospect, it didn’t matter. It didn’t matter that you worked in the fields from dawn to dusk; it didn’t matter that there wasn’t an abundance of food. Life was simple and whatever they had to eat, they shared with family and friends. And those very values are the ones that resonate with me… I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, because at the end of the day, I truly believe that food is about sharing with the ones you love and mean the most to you.

No comments: