Thursday, May 02, 2024

Zig Zags

I got an AURA zig zags on my way to the library. On my way home a headache started....perhaps it IS a MIGRAINE. Anyway I turned off all of the lights took Excedrin and am eating my homemade sourdough seed crackers and cottage cheese and homemade coleslaw.
 
My painful hips from injuring myself swimming, are getting better!
 
I dropped my metal drinking straw when I bent to pick up after Romeo dog on my walk to the library.
 
I didn't know at the time. When I discovered it missing I decided to keep my eyes peeled on the walk home. I retraced my steps and found it on the grass near the tree at Thundermist Health Center.
 
I find walking Romeo with my sipping thermal tumbler makes me drink water. I refill it at the library water fountain.
 
I met a guy with a gallon jug at the bus stop. I said I like those water jugs with the encouragement. He said YES I drink a gallon a day! Are you a dancer? I asked.
Yes, I am a drag queen.
Cool!
Let me show you my performance. He pulled out his cracked cell phone and I watched a buxom woman in high heeled boots and abundant elbow-length hair strutting around on stage in a superhero red & yellow WONDERWOMAN bathing suit.
I was still recovering from a sore hamstring, he said
You did well.
Where do you perform?
Providence. 
 
I'm a swimmer but I recently hurt my hips over doing my swimming I said.
Have you been to a massage therapist? No.
I'm in school for a massage therapy and we'll be giving free massages in Lincoln in July.
Thanks, I said. We shook hands. Roberto. I'm from Arizona. A pleasure to meet you. Maybe I'll see you around.
I live in Providence but I come up to go to Thundermist, he said hopping on the bus.
 
Then I saw Rhonda the lady who walks like a COWBOY wearing leopard stretch pants, high leather boots and a zebra patterned scarf walking into Bouley Field.
Oh bocce! I said noticing the crowd in the park.
Oh, that's what they're doing! Why are they playing on this cold damp day? I'm from Colorado I ski I know nothing about bocce she said in her husky voice. She is always tanned with leathery skin and today wearing magenta tint mirrored sunglasses.
They play every Thursday morning starting in May.
Oh.
What brought you to Woonsocket?

I fell in love with a man and followed him to Cape Cod and he brought me here to Woonsocket. We were married 36 years and he died at 59. Now we get along great, she cackled. My kids age 25 and 27 are here, so I'm here if they need me.

I like Woonsocket I said.

I hate it, she said. People always want something. They always ask me for money. I tell them I left my wallet at home, I'm not here to support you!

Three homeless folks I recognized came around the corner walking toward her calling out, "Rhonda!"

 We parted ways. My headache was blossoming. I had to race the final 2 blocks home with ROMEO in tow and take a generic excedrin fast.

I popped a pill and  turned off all of the lights. My computer screen is already permanently on dim for times like this. It worked. I caught it in time!

No comments: