Sunday, January 04, 2015

Tony Danza: if I can get it right, maybe I’d get bored

He is a frequent visitor to the TKTS discount ticket booth in Times Square, where he stumps for “Honeymoon in Vegas” and vows that theatergoers won’t be disappointed.

“I tell them, listen, if you disagree at the end of the show, I come out — you can tell me I’m a bum,” Mr. Danza said. “So far, nobody’s yelled at me.”

That the musical was using its preview process for fine-tuning was nothing to worry about, Mr. Danza said, comparing the experience to a lesson he said he learned from Al Unser Jr. at a celebrity grand prix.

“He says, ‘Tony, it’s all about momentum,’ ” Mr. Danza recounted. “Well, Broadway musicals are about momentum. If you can cut 30 seconds, 15 seconds, it changes the whole thing.”

If his extracurricular promotional duties were hard work, Mr. Danza said it was a fair trade to fulfill a dream of getting to originate a new (and still evolving) show. “People say to me, ‘Don’t you get bored?’ ” he said. “I say, ‘Well, if I can get it right, maybe I’d get bored.’ ”

Article

No comments: