Friday, April 13, 2007

Faith (Eventually)

I ran in the mist with Honey, now I'm reading Anne Lamott's new book "Faith (Eventually)," having picked up a stack of others that were waiting for me on reserve at the library today. Thank God for the library and reference librarians! Anne Lamott says truth and freedom are the same thing. Interesting. Here's a paraphrase of a line of hers that stood out for me:  I know that no matter how absurd and ironic it is, acknowledging death and the finite is what gives you life and presence.

Here are a couple more:

A free public library is a revolutionary notion, and when people don't have free access to books, then communities are like radios without batteries. You cut people off from essential sources of information - mythical, practical, linguistic, political - and you break them. You render them helpless in the face of political oppression.

We have become a country you wouldn't want to leave your children alone with.

     - Anne Lamott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am told that the W. library has become a daytime shelter for homeless men who sprawl and sleep on the new furniture, intimidate patrons and destroy fixtures, such as tearing the doors off stalls in the bathroom. It was sad to hear. I remember when the library was in the original granite building downtown.