Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Simple Pleasures

My thighs are smiling when I emerge from a hot shower and put on clean jeans - my skin can breathe though the pores! Simple pleasures make up my day. I knew a guy who got up every day, had coffee, and practiced his drums all morning. He did this for years. Last I heard he got a Tony Award playing in a band for a Broadway show. Start where you are, go deeply into what you care about, and sometimes amazing things happen. But I'd be wrong to go at things with the goal in mind - the journey is what matters! The journey counts. How I line myself up with the cosmos matters. If I'm a dictator I'll have rebellion on my hands.

I worked at a nursing home briefly, and there was an amazing group of elderly clients living on the premises. The grouchy ones had been bitter their whole lives. The gossipy ones were still doing their thing! The light-filled inspired ones were brighter each day, in spite of their bodies breaking down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I woke up and thought, "I;m going to rest today." I just got back from vacation and didn't even rest on my vacation! My afternoon babysitting job cancelled. Now I'm sitting at my computer and wandering though your site. Emily, I just love the things you've written! It is beautiful and uplifting and elegantly-crafted.
Wahe Guru!