Sunday, April 15, 2007

Loose Baby

I decided to run with Honey yesterday morning and it felt great. I think my running shoes are magic motivators. Maybe there's hope for my thighs becoming as muscular as Honey's after all! When I was running through downtown, I saw a young woman, probably nineteen years old, walking ahead of me with a newborn infant in her arms wrapped in a pink fleece blanket. She had black unwashed hair in a side ponytail. You never see a woman walking with an infant in her arms instead of a stroller, and she was pretty far away from the nearest residential area. She had a diaper bag strapped over her shoulder. She kept lifting and repositioning the child on her hip. She was crossing the bridge by the Woonsocket Falls, and I suddenly feared she was planning to toss the baby into the waterfall! So I ran up to her imagining I could catch the baby if she made any sudden moves. I stayed near her until she crossed the bridge. I saw a police officer drive past her very slowly, watching her in his rear-view mirror. Perhaps he was thinking the same thing! Or is my imagination too active?

No comments: